A "Perfectly Good" Chocolate Cake *updated

Yep - we celebrated another birthday - with to much food (heavy dinner choices from Dad) and of course "cake!"  I do believe - in my own mind that I can bake.  I've also been told this from others.  Pictured is cake number two - the first cake was tossed; TOSSED!


I realize there's always a story with me and originally I wanted to make a Sour Milk Chocolate Cake.  Is there such a thing as sour milk that's spoiled?  There has to be!  Well more to this story is the sweet goat milk I didn't finish that soured - yet I just didn't want to through it out.  Mistake for cake - the sweet milk turned sour and spoiled to goaty - that lead me to pictured cake and number two.  :D The Perfectly Good Chocolate Cake from HersheyRecipe is also posted at bottom of this post.


It was moist and tasted great - I did make this cake before.  I'm just not into to sweet and it is that.  I cut back a bit on the sugar but at this point I was already caked out!  LOL  I also did not frost the cake as in recipe I just slathered it in the middle and on top and sprinkled pecans on.  Oh the cake does require milk also but sweet and last word on the recipe - it states thin batter - - runny is really the word and when you make it don't worry about the batter it all turns out and makes a lot.  Very rich! Black coffee needed or a tall glass of ice cold "sweet milk."  :D  Recipe at bottom!

Most important Dad liked it - it was his birthday and that's all that mattered!



And by the way Joanie check it out I was able to use the cake tin top you bought me.  It actually worked perfect on my glass cake server.  Thank you dear friend I miss a lot!


For a crafty tip - if you don't have a pedestal cake server you can make your own like I did.  All you need is a glass plate, a parfait dessert glass and clear silicon.  Also a shout out to thank my dear friend Joan for the Cake Carrier!  I love it!!


Hershey's Perfectly Chocolate Cake w/buttermilk

Ingredients

1 3/4 cups of flour (I used King Arthur or Bob's unbleached)
2 cups sugar
3/4 cup unsweetened cocoa powder (reg or dark)
1 1/2 tsp. baking powder
1 1/2 tsp baking soda
1 tsp salt
2 large eggs - room temp.
1 cup buttermilk - room temp.
1/2 cup oil (veg. canola, or other)
2 tsp. vanilla extract
1 cup boiling water

Instructions

Pre-heat oven to 350 degrees.  Grease and flour two 9" round baking pans.
Stir together sugar, flour, cocoa, baking powder, baking soda and salt in a large bowl.
Add eggs, milk, oil and vanilla; beat on medium speed of mixer for about 2 minutes.
Stir in boiling water - batter will be thin.  Pour into prepared pans.
Bake at 350 for 35 - 40 minutes.  Cool completely before frosting.  Recipe below or make one of choice.

For cupcakes it will make 24-30 cupcakes depending on the size.  Bake for 20-22 minutes, don't overbake.  For cupcakes you might like this post.

For icing / frosting 

1/2 cup butter - softened
2/3 cups unsweetened cocoa powder
3 cups powdered sugar
1/3 cup milk -( I use 1/2 and 1/2 or mix with part that and cream)
1 tsp. vanilla extract

Combine butter, sugar and cocoa.
Add milk and vanilla.

You can adjust by adding less or more milk and sugar.  Enjoy!

Comments

Popular Posts