Slow Cooked Leg of Lamb w/ Garlic, Lemon and Rosemary ~

I'm not one to pass on a good buy and bought a boneless grass fed leg of lamb for half price.  It was a perfectly fine piece of meat, it was just close to the sell by date.  Honestly, I'm not a huge fan of lamb but was willing to give it a go.  My husband said his mom made it often enough - roasting it; why not!  I googled for a recipe that would catch my interest and went from there.

Original recipe is made by cooking lamb with a low temp in a Crockpot over a period of six hours or so.  

First you pat dry your leg of lamb and mix some seasonings together.  The smell was fresh and wonderful, filling the kitchen.


Using a mortar and pestle you made a paste of finely grated lemon rind, garlic, rosemary, coarse salt, freshly ground pepper and olive oil.





Smear all over the piece of meat.


Place in crockpot and add liquid of choice, wine, beef stock, chicken, tomato juice or water.  I used chicken - though I thought a nice white wine would have been good.  Squeeze juice from the lemon all over the top and cook till done.


I served it up with roasted red potatoes and green beans.  Very good!  The recipe had a tasty sounding Lemon Potatoes with Garlic and Oregano using Yukon Gold potatoes.  

I had small organic reds that I quartered and tossed with olive oil, salt and chervil, of course you always can use and herb of your choice.  Roasting in the oven at 400 degree on a shallow baking sheet.  Stir occasionally till done.  Very good as well.  Over all very good, even though I'm not a big lamb fan.  I might try this again but roasting on the gill - we'll see.

And for the leftover meat if you have any leftover - or if you really don't care for lamb - you can make what I did.  Chili Masquerade or is it Masquerade Chili ~

Comments

Popular Posts