Stuffed Cabbage Rolls ~

I've made stuffed cabbage before and decided to make someone else's version other than mine.  Realistically - just how many versions could there be?  As previously posted I had beautiful cabbage leaves to use and that my friends - is what I did!

The first thing I did, after finding a that new recipe, was make sure I had all the ingredients needed.  You may or may not know how frustrating it is to run out or not have and live miles out of town, but I did and I was happy!  :D

Ingredients needed:

Cabbage Roll Filling

1 large head green cabbage, preferred large leafing leaves
2 lb ground meat
2 eggs (optional but I used)
1 medium diced onion
2 garlic cloves minced (I used large cloves)
2 tsp salt
1 tsp black pepper
1/2 cup raw long grain white rice - I used 1 cup organic brown and partially cooked it in a little less water and use what I wanted.  I'm sure you can fully cook it.  Or use raw as original recipe calls for.

Sauce

2 tbsp butter or oil (I used butter)
1 clove garlic, finely chopped (I used large)
1 medium onion, diced
2 15oz can tomatoes (I used strained Pomi in carton) or 1 32oz can (I like Cento Italian style or San Marzano)
1/4 - cup light brown sugar or more depending on the sweetness you want.  If you use above tomatoes less.
Salt and pepper to taste
1/2 cup golden raisins (optional - though I was able to use raisin I dried last season) :)

I took off and cleaned the leaves I wanted to use.  This recipe required 16 leaves and the leaves on the cabbage I used were so large I cut several in half, removing the tougher stalk part.  Though the leaves were very large being "farm fresh"they were tender not tough as in the store.  Blanch leaves in boiling water for about a minute remove to large bowl of ice water.  Once cooled off and wilted pat dry and set aside.  I placed on a cookie sheet with paper towels or use a cotton tea towel.

Next I prepared the filling and mixed with my hands until all incorporated.  At this point you can fill the leaves or after sauce is done.  I sat as to do the sauce.  Filling the leaves I just took a spoonful of equal amounts, placed near the bottom and folded bottom leaf up over the filling - turned sides over and rolled to top. Like a burrito! Only difference the filling isn't spread over the tortillas.

Over medium heat saute onions till tender and golden, add garlic sauteing for about 2 minutes then add in the rest of the sauce ingredients bringing to a boil then lower the heat and simmer about 5 minutes.




In a glass baking dish pour some sauce in the bottom to line.  Place rolls in baking dish on top of sauce and pour more of the sauce on top, I didn't use all of the sauce and poured some on top for serving.  Cover with foil and bake for 2 hours in a 350 degree oven.  I thought the same what! But it works.





I was delicious and I will make again.  The original recipe was found here at Parsley, Sage & Sweet - who gives wonderful instructions with a nice presentation.  I used the same amount of meat and I'm certain more rice since I cooked it, I'll try uncooked next time.

Comments

Popular Posts