Adzuki Beans & Brown Rice ~

*


It's beautiful Autumn time and I've been bouncing around "fall-ish" type recipes again.  So much so that when I gathered up the ingredients for this recipe and I had three going on in my head!  This recipe does not have tomatoes but since I took the picture I decided to leave it for added color lol ~





For this recipe found here at Epicurious I had everything I needed except for Kombu and used dried paper thin seaweed shown below.   I have to say you need some cooking time as to allow the beans to soak.   The original recipe allows for the soaking but is incomplete -  not stating when to add the squash. lol - I've made similar before and "figured" it out, however, for a new cook or "unseasoned" it might be confusing, as, does it really use squash as listed?  Since I pictured tomatoes that aren't!  :D

For this recipe you will need:

1 cup dry adzuki beans (soaked for 2 hours)*
1/4 diced red onions (I used over 1/4 cup)
1 cup diced carrots
1 cup diced butternut or kabucha (I used Delicata/ pealed and diced) Squash 
1 leaf Kombu, rinsed well*
1 TB extra virgin olive oil
1 cup brown rice, (soaked for quicker cooking/ I used my pressure cooker)*
1- 1/2 cups cold water




Dice and make ready ingredients.  Don't forget to soak beans - I used the same method as with all dried beans - that is do a quick boil with water covering the beans and let set.  As stated the recipe calls for 2 hours of soaking and the Adzukis are very small.  You wouldn't think they would need to soak but they do need some soaking time to tender up or it will cut into your cooking time.  I'm sure you could do and over night soak but not really necessary.


Heat your oil in a medium pot and saute all diced vegetables (including squash).


Yes ~ Coming along nicely ~
Soaked Adzuki Beans :)
Add Adzuki beans to your pot with 3 cups of water. 


At this point your would also add the Kombu that has been rinsed well but since I didn't have it and could not find it anywhere locally, being I live in a small community and would have to order on line or drive 2-4 hours out.


I used 2 sheets of dried seaweed and using a knife cut it in slices, nothing uniform, then threw it to the mix.


Bring all of this to a boil - reduce your heat and simmer for 40 minutes checking and stirring occasionally until the beans are done.
Since I use my pressure cooker I made my rice and left it on warm until I was ready to serve.  So at this point I would get my rice going.  The original recipe said to soak your rice as well and that well also cut down time putting it all together.  Realistically, know how long your rice needs to cook and plan accordingly.


When done serve it up rice first and beans on top.  I added to mine (on the rice) a few sprays of Bragg Liquid Aminos - (a healthier alternative to regular soy) outside of that no other seasonings were use and very good and healthy for you too!

*Recap -

Beans - need soaking at least 2 hours before adding to sautéed vegetables.  Simply put into pot, cover with water and bring to a boil.  Cover and let set 2 hours or more.  Drain before using you can rinse if you'd like.
Kombu - is sea kelp very nutritious for you and found dried, raw etc.  It is salty as dried seaweed. I'm not an expert on any of it but there are several awesome links worth checking out.  Listed is one - I just happen to like it!
Rice - can be soak for quicker cooking, or if you rice takes 40 - 50 minutes to cook start it right after to get the beans and vegetables going for its 40 minutes or so of cooking.  You just want to have it ready close together for severing.

"I apologize for this lengthy post, it shouldn't be hard and isn't.  I'm hoping it isn't confusing either in my effort to make it easier.  lol  It's very good and I hope you try it.


They do add nice color!  :D

Comments

Popular Posts